• 2 large Golden Delicious apples
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• 3 eggs
• 1 1/2 cups sugar (or Organic Evaporated Cane Juice Crystals), plus more for dusting
• 8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 tsp. Pure Cranberry Extract
• 1 cup cake flour
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 1/8 tsp. Sale di Cervia Sea Salt
• 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
• 1/3 cup raisins, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
• 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Butter a springform pan and dust with flour, tapping out the excess. Peel the apples, halve and core them, and then slice thinly. Place in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Set aside.
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and the sugar until creamy. Stir in the butter, milk and Pure Cranberry Extract. Sift the flour into a separate bowl and stir in the baking powder, Sale di Cervia Sea Salt and lemon zest. Using a wooden spoon, gradually incorporate the egg mixture. Drain the raisins and add to the batter along with the pine nuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange the apple slices in concentric circles over the surface. Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool completely, then release the pan sides and slide the cake onto a serving plate. Dust the top of the cake with sugar. Cut into wedges to serve.
Recipe adapted from and photo courtesy of www.melangery.com